[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Language of Church records

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Wed Nov 2 09:08:01 PST 2005

     To add to Jerry's comments below:
        The Volhynian German Lutheran record transcripts after 1885  sent to St Petersburg were also prepared in Russian Cyrillic.

John Marsch

  At 07:18 AM 02/11/2005, DKrausePHS at aol.com wrote:
  >@ things.
  >
  >1.   Pastors were not required to keep church recordes in Polish for
  >Evangelisch German Churches in Poland. These record were in German.
  >
  >My German grandfather Krause married my Polsis Grandmother Sheperski in 1892
  >and was disowned, not because she was Polish but because she was Catholic and
  >he changed from Lutheranism to Catholicism.
  >
  >Duane Krause

  Just to clarify:

  Actual Lutheran (Evangelical) CHURCH records were indeed written in
  German.  You find examples of this on microfilm for the Ilow
  Parish.   However, the church was also obligated by law to keep a set
  of CIVIL records.  These are most commonly found on the microfilms
  and were written in the State languages of Polish before 1868 and
  Russian Cyrillic after that.

  This applies ONLY to Russian Poland.  I assume that all records in
  Prussian regions would be in German.

  Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
  FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca