[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Manos-Wolen

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 2 09:14:47 PST 2005

Wolen could be any of a number of towns in east-central Europe including Wolin / Wollin in Poland and Wollin in Germany.

However, I have also seen Wolen as a misrepresentation of Wolhyn, the Germanic form for Volhynia.  This of course is not a specific town but a large province of former Russia.

The surname is very uncommon.  There are none in either the St. Petersburg records or the SGGEE databases.  There is one entry for the birth of a Hilda to Gottfried and Anna Dorothea MANUS in 1882 in Volhynia which could be a connection.

Do you have any other clues - names of siblings, relgion, etc. that might help?

Jerry Frank
Calgary, AB