[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Executed in Zhitomir 1938

richard benert benovich at imt.net
Thu Nov 3 08:39:20 PST 2005

Michelle,

The most obvious place to look for the 350 Germans executed Sept. 20, 1938
is Don Miller's "Under Arrest:  Repression of the Russian Germans in the
Zhitomir Region".  On pp. 225-231, Don gives the names of all of them, and
discusses the horrible episode, plus many others, in his text.  You can
easily order the book from Don at http://inthemidstofwolves.com.
Unfortunately, I don't find the name, Honig, anywhere in the book, but the
book is indispensible for learning about the era and the tactics of the
Bolshevik interrogators and executioners.

Another book that must be mentioned is Kate Brown's "A Biography of No
Place:  From Ethnic Borderland to Soviet Heartland", (Harvard U. Press,
2004).  This book was brought to our attention a couple weeks ago by Laurel
Davies, and I'm now in the process of reading it.  I'm very impressed by it,
and I think it should be required reading for anyone interested in Volhynia
during the 1920s to 1945.  It sets the repression of ethnic Germans in the
context of Soviet (and later, Nazi) policies towards the region (which
included repressing Poles, Ukrainians and Jews also), so it helps us
overcome the sometimes myopic view we get when we concentrate only on our
own relatives in the region.  In addition, it's beautifully written, and it
pays a lot of attention to the ordinary life of "little people" (like our
relatives).  I'm really excited about this book, and I would urge everyone
to get a copy.  I was lucky.  I found it in the library of Montana State U
here in Bozeman, much to my surprise.

Dick Benert