[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Jewish surnames; was Re: Germans speaking...

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 3 17:53:03 PST 2005

This issue of "Jewish surnames" comes up now and again.  While it is
certainly possible that some of our Volhynian Germans could have
Jewish roots, the odds are against it.  Jews did not have surnames
until forced to do so in the Napoleonic era of the late 1700s.  There
is a far greater chance that a Jew adapted or adopted your Germanic
surname than the other way around.

For an excellent discussion on this topic, see
http://www.jewfaq.org/jnames.htm

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca