[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Pastor Rudolf Kerstens

Jack Milner wjmilner at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 5 10:33:12 PST 2005

Gerhard,

Pastor  R. Kersten is mentioned in the History of St. John's  Lutheran
Congregation, Edenwald, Saskatchwan, 1890 - 1915.  Written for the 25th
Anniversary of the Congreagation on August 8, 1915 by Pastor C.
Kleiner.  Translated from German  by Dr. P. Engstrom, Luther College,
Regina, Saskatchewan.

"The successor to Pastor Roehle was Pastor Fürst from Beausejour,
Manitoba.  He began his service in on September 26, 1909, but resigned
on August 1, 1913. in order to return again to Beausejour.  During his
time the congregations (town and country) numbered 57 families, about
150 souls. Under Pastor Fürst a small fraction  of the members of the
congregation (presently Edenwald town congregation) who lived in
Hednesford , Saskatchewan, organized to form an independent
congregation, the "St. Paul's Congregation."  In August of 1913 Pastor
Kersten began a period of service as successor to Pastor Fürst but
resigned again at the beginning of May 1915."

His name is mentioned again in  A  History  Of The Parish, by Hannelore
Frombach, (excerpted from  Where Aspens Whisper, the 1981 history of the
Edenwald community)

"Pastor Conrad Kleiner came to Edenwald in 1915, following Reverend R.
Kersten (1913 to 1915)."

These excerpts were from the History book, St. John's Evangelical
Lutheran Church history, 1890 -1990.  Rostern was part of  this parish
at one time, but is only mentioned for the period  1894 to 1897.

Rosthern
The first Lutherans arrived in Rosthern in 1892 from Germany and
Russia.  Pastor Schmieder visited them in the summer of 1894 and
pastoral services were provided from Edenwald through 1897.  Then
Rosthern was served from the pastor at Neudorf, with the Christ
congregation organized in 1899, and a parsonage built in 1900 for their
own pastor.

I hope this helps your project a bit.

Yours truly,

Jack Milner