[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Edenwald - EdenWold spelling

Jack Milner wjmilner at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 8 12:10:27 PST 2005

More history:

Excerpts from a history written for the 75th Anniversary of st. John's
Evangelical Lutheran Church, Edenwold, September 26, 1955.  (Note where
both spellings were used)

"From the headquarters in Edenwold, Pastor Schmieder served the
communities of Longlaketon, Strassburg, Davin,  Kronau, Neudorf,
Regina, Rosthern, Dunmore and even Edmonton district.

On Sunday, September 7, 1890, the settlers organized a congregation, and
it was called St. John Lutheran Congregation of Edenwald.  The
membership consisted of 17 families."

Excerpt  from  "The Edenwald District and the Synod"  by Dr. Richard
Hordern (Not dated)

"But what was Edenwald and why am I not spelling it as 'Edenwold'?  That
second spelling came in later, especially after the townsite laid out in
1911, was given that name.  But even after that date the Edenwald parish
register I have been working with continues to spell the district
'Edenwald'.  Only once or twice does the spelling 'Edenwold' seem to
slip in."

."