[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] LIPNO GERMAN CEMETERY and PICTURES

Michael & Maureen McHenry maurmike1 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 17 09:47:32 PST 2005

I have just returned from Poland. One of the places we stopped was the town
of Lipno. We visited the Lutheran church there. A picture is on Jutta's
UPSTREAM VISTULA site. We had the good fortune that the pastor (I think) was
outside the church. He spoke no English and we no Polish. However we did
manage to get a picture of the inside. Also using a drawing (my dictionary
and phrase book were in the car) we're able to find out where the church
cemetery is. It is located behind the catholic one. It is not very well
maintained and much is over grown. There are some recent and maintained
graves. Also some had flower arrangements and votives on them. It is clearly
a German cemetery. Almost all readable names are German. We took quite a few
pictures. There is a small caretaker's house. We knocked on the door and a
young woman answered. She spoke no English. This time though I had my Polish
phrase book and dictionary. We tried to ascertain if a list of names
existed. She seem to respond positively. But since we could not understand
her we don't know where the list might exist. What is perplexing to me was
the post WWII graves. I thought all Germans were forced to leave Poland. Are
these people who could prove Polish-German inter-marriage in their family? I
will make available my digital pictures of the graveyard and Lipno.

                                        Mike