[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] deportation from Karlswalde 1915 or 1916

Lee Hunt David Knott redalder1 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 17 21:37:22 PST 2005

I would like to find out to where my granfather's family was deported in 1915 or 1916.  My grandfather, Adolf Muller (umlaut on "u", changed to Miller in the U.S.), son of Karl or Carl Muller and Julianna Grundmann, left Karlswalde and found his way through Canada to Minnesota in 1909.  He received a letter from his sister Johanna, written in November of 1916 from a city that I cannot read from the gothic, perhaps Koecacsan or Koecusan with an umlaut on the third vowel.  It is a very decorated letter, with flowers and colored lettering on very poor brown paper.  She says that she does not know what they will do "in dem Fremde allein" (in this foreign land alone).  I would like to find out how she fared or at least where the family was sent.
November 17, 2005