[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Village location

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 19 16:26:22 PST 2005

At 08:30 PM 18/11/2005, Royal Natzke wrote:
>I have been searching for my grandfather's (John Martin Neumann)
>birth place. Attempts were made to find Kurmenz, Russia, as was
>stated on US Immigration papers, without success. After extensive
>searching in the recent films released from the Warsaw Archives, I
>found a village called, " Kurlenz in Petrikaw" listed as a
>birthplace for another Neumann ancestor. Jerry, I'm wondering if you
>or someone else would have information on this village. Could
>"Kurlenz" have been misspelled, "Kurmenz"?.I'm assuming Petrikaw is
>a Kreis.The closest spelling I could find is "Piotrikow"., but have
>no Idea where it is. Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Dorothy Natzke

Dorothy:

Certainly there is no pronunciation correlation between Kurlenz and
Kurmenz.  However, considering the North American source of your
document, I can very easily see where it may have been misspelled.

Of course, it is also possible that it is misspelled in the church
record as well.  I say that because I can find no such place in Poland.

Petrikaw or Piotrkow is usually reference to the city and region SE
of Lodz where the city now goes by the name Piotrkow Trybunalskie.

If you'd like to send me a scan of the record, I will see if a better
interpretation is possible.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca