[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] GRAVE STONE TRANSLATION

Jan Textor textor_jan at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 21 08:09:37 PST 2005

Mike,

IMKAMPFE FUR IHR
VATERLAND FIELEN UND
RUHEN HIER
16 DEUTSCHE
TAPFERE

I'm convinced that the inscription does not say "IMKAMPFE" but "IM KAMPFE",
meaning "in action" or "in battle" or "while fighting".  You are quite
right, soldiers are not mentioned in the inscription.  It is an assumption
by the translators that the killed people were soldiers, and perhaps they
were right.  The text does actually say that they were killed and are
resting here (the cemetery).  However, the gravestone may have been moved to
the cemetery from somewhere else.

Hope this helps.
Jan Textor