[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] POLISH DIACRITIC " L" EQUIVALENT IN RUSSIAN

Otto otto at schienke.com
Wed Nov 23 09:12:13 PST 2005

QUESTION:
When a town name contains a Polish diacritic "L" how would it be
translated
into Russian Cyrillic?

                                         Mike

Ans:
With difficulty.  The lipped 'w' sound is not produced using the
Cyrillic alphabet.
Try substitute a Cyrillic character for English 'v', 'yu', 'u', 'y',
or even 'L' as we do with the Polish 'L' slashed.  The scribe or
pastor doing the recording would 'play it by ear'.

Remember, alphabets replicate vocal sounds.  They guide
vocalization.  'Sounds like' is the rule of thumb.  'Looks like is of
no value, especially with Cyrillic.

Most of us adapted the vocalization of our language to the Roman
alphabet, including the Poles.  They tweak it using diacritical
markings to to bring out proper sounds in their language. The Roman
alphabet does not contain characters for some of their vocal
sounds.   German with its umlauts is similar.  http://
www.jewishgen.org/jri-pl/translit.htm  (Fraktur has passed to the
wayside)  Our alphabets are but a close replication of our vocal
sounds.  Old St. Cyril did a magnificent job in formulating an
alphabet to produce exactly the sounds of the Russian tongue, giving
the Russians a very fine instrument for writing world class
literature and poetry. He gave Russian Orthodoxy a leg up,
intentionally, over the Roman Catholic, Yiddish, and Turkish Islamic
alphabets. Some of the Cyrillic characters may have a familiar look,
but not a familiar sound connected to them, old Cyril borrowed
characters from assorted alphabets to compose his own.

...  Otto

   " The Zen moment..." wk. of September 4, 2005-