[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] A Riddle to Solve

Michael & Maureen McHenry maurmike at bellatlantic.net
Tue Oct 4 12:12:16 PDT 2005

Thanks to the list I have been making good progress on my ancestors in
Russian-Poland. My grand father is from Secymin parish and grand mother most
likely from Lipno. Now I have decided to come back to a riddle that had me
going in circles at the beginning. My aunt left an oral history that she was
born in the town of Jalowice, Poland in 1905. She related this long after
WWII and much rearrangement of the borders. My grandmother had returned from
the USA to Russian Poland to have her second child this aunt. This I know
from her return to the USA in 1906. The first child had died as an infant
and may have inspired them to return to the old country for a doctor. A lot
of work by the list and my self showed that Jalowice conflicted with my
grand mother's stated origins as Russian Poland. It also conflicted with
ships manifest when she returned to the USA in 1906 with my aunt. If my
aunt's recollection was accurate then my grand mother must have had this
child in other then her family's village and not Russian Poland. There is a
town with this name that was once in the province of Brandenburg Kreis Guben
called Jalowice in polish and Jaulitz when it was German. It's the only
Jalowice result you get at Kartenmeister.com. I'm hypothesizing that she
decided to have the child in Germany and may have had relatives there. After
the child was born she then went to family in Russian Poland- Lipno, stayed
there until the following year. Can anyone on the list tell me how I can
find birth records for this area. They were Lutherans so might I expect
baptismal record exists at EZA? Are there civil records as well?  The FHC
does have records for Brandenburg, but nothing looks promising to me.
                    Mike