[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] LACHMANN WOLF MROCH

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 17 17:41:31 PDT 2005

You certainly have a confusing family situation.  I would caution
against 2 things.

First, do not make assumptions about ethnicity based on skin, hair,
eyes, etc.  That just is not reliable.

Second, do not assume Jewishness based on a surname that is
frequently part of Jewish culture.  My FRANK surname is common among
the Jews but there is no connection.

It would appear that the sister-in-law was either Jewish or married a
Jew.  I am a little confused by the description.  She signs her
surname as Israelowitz but you say she is a Lachmann.  If she was a
sister-in-law of your ggf Lachmann, then she would sign her surname
as Lachmann, right?  But if she was a Lachmann married to an
Israelowitz, then she would be a sister, not a sister-in-law.

Certainly it is possible that there is Jewish background in the
Lachmann family but it would have to be early on.  By 1865, your
Lachmann family (and several others possibly connected) were all
baptizing their children in the Lutheran Church.  In the 1930s, your
ggf is not able to communicate in Yiddish.  This suggests to me a
strong Germanic ethnicity.

Whatever Jewishness is happening here appears to be with Beile.

Jerry Frank