[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Hollerung 10.21.2005

Kenneth Browne kbrowne at alumni.umass.edu
Fri Oct 21 17:47:01 PDT 2005

> Hi List,
>
> I am trying to use a connected surname, HOLLERUNG, to track my own SELINGER
> line. Apparently it may be as difficult, if not worse. I wonder if anyone
> might be able to suggest some alternative spellings other than the obvious
> spelling with the single/double "L".
> Eva HOLLERUNG married Herman SELINGER.

Perhaps my comment is obvious, but depending upon  where and how you are
searching, if a computer is involved you'll likely come up with any
surname that even resembles the one you're looking for. When I search
for LACHMANN, I get single "N", "KH", "och", "OCK", etc. and while I
these alternate spellings seem unlikely to me. US Census and other
records can be searched by "Soundex" which relies on the dominant
consonants in a given name.

What it boils down to is: you don't have to literally search by every
possible spelling combination that you might imagine. The computer does
it for you.

--
clacking the keys in olde Sturbridge village, MA

I can trace my taglines back 8 generations