[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Why, oh why, are we so enamored by Catherine?

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 27 06:49:56 PDT 2005

Some who know me probably observe that I get very aggravated when I
see distorted views of Catherine the Great as published by supposedly
knowledgeable people on what should be reliable websites.  While I
can forgive amateur genealogists who have not taken the time to
thoroughly research their history, I have a real hard time with
people who claim special knowledge on the topic and then publish
their work in public newspapers (or journals or other sources) as
authoritative works.  See in particular
http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/grhc/media/newspapers/news/old_news/boardman.html
which came to my attention today.

While I have seen much misinformation spread about Catherine's
involvement in the German migration to Russia, this one really takes
the cake.

My complaint is primarily with Part 1 of this article as I am not
familiar enough with North Dakota history to comment on the rest.  To
lay the basis for my argument, please note that the author is
presenting a fictionalized view of Catherine beginning near the time
of her ascension to the throne c.1762.

In the third sentence, the author portrays Catherine travelling down
the Danube River to view the vast steppes of her domain.  Hmmm -
seems to be that the Danube at this time was flowing from
Wuerttemberg through Bavaria, the Austro-Hungarian Empire and then
through the Ottoman Empire.  Not one kilometer of it appears in
Russia so why would Catherine have used that route to
travel?  Perhaps she would have used the Don or Volga but never the Danube.

Moving on to the second paragraph, we find that Catherine has, "risen
to the top through imagination and guts."  I suppose I can sort of
agree with that.  After all, having her husband killed was rather
imaginative and gutsy!  But I cannot accept the next sentence in the
time line which the author would have us follow.  The fact is that
Catherine did not defeat the Turks until over 25 years after the
first significant migration of Germans into Russia.  In 1792,
Jedisan, where Odessa was located, was ceded to the Russians by the
Turks.  Further conflict followed and it wasn't until 1812 that
Bessarabia was taken from the Ottoman Turks by Russia, 16 years after
Catherine's death!

Was Catherine really wondering about producing wheat to ship to the
world market?  I suppose that is possible but a far greater concern
was military protection along the eastern border.  She wanted a
buffer zone between her Russians and the Mongol hordes.  Settling the
vast steppes along the Volga with foreigners would certainly help
that cause.  (See Human Capital by Roger Bartlett, a view provided by
an Englishman not influenced by German thought.)

Catherine remembers the farms of her youth and wants the same in
Russia?  Well, she did reject fully her ethnic and religious roots in
favour of becoming fully Russified.  I suppose she might have held on
to that one obvious thread of connecting to her roots.  (In case you
hadn't noticed, I am trying to be facetious.)

Now, in the next paragraph, Catherine's thoughts turn to the
wonderful Mennonites and their special culture and abilities.  If
this is true, then why did she not approach the Mennonites to request
their presence in Russia.  She DID NOT - not with her first Manifesto
nor her second.  Instead, she distributes her Manifestos throughout
ALL of Europe hoping that someone, anyone, will come.

Moving on a bit, as I don't want to nit pick, we find mention again
of the Danube River, claimed to be a transportation route for Germans
responding to the Manifesto with troikas zipping past them.  The
Germans in fact did not use this migration route till well after
Catherine's death in 1796 and it was in no way associated with her
Manifesto.  Troikas never travelled along its side, nor along the
side of any other Germans migrating to the Black Sea region
overland.  This oversteps the bounds of fictional journalistic licence.

With these major historical and timing errors in Part 1, one wonders
if the other parts can be trusted for accuracy but I will leave
analysis of that for others with more experience than I.

I would add, in closing, that, even for the Volga Germans, the role
of Catherine in their migration is overplayed.  Catherine had
rejected her Germanic ethnicity and heritage and cared naught if the
steppes were settled by English, French, Germans, or a mix of
all.  She did little other than sign a political document called a
Manifesto.  The document was not prepared personally by her but
rather by her advisors and government officials.  The Manifesto was
not a whole lot different than the Homestead Acts of Canada and the
USA.  Agents were sent by both countries to Eastern Europe to attract
settlers, just as the Russians had done in Europe at the time of the
Manifesto.  In spite of that similarity, no one makes a big issue of
the Russian Germans being invited to Canada by the Queen or Prime
Minister, or to the States by the President.  The Manifesto was a
political device designed to help with political problems.  The
Germans happened to respond in very large numbers because of
circumstances in their homeland and because of the prospects for self
improvement in a new land.  Yes, I will even venture to say that even
the Mennonites were more motivated by the prospects of a new life
than by the altruistic opportunity of freedom from military
service.  If freedom from military service was THE motivating factor,
why did so many Mennonites remain behind in Prussia?

So please folks, help spread the word.  Correct error about Catherine
when you see it.  And remind people to put perspective on her actions.

Thanks.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca