[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans speaking Polish

Posnsrch at aol.com Posnsrch at aol.com
Mon Oct 31 21:08:05 PST 2005

In a message dated 10/31/2005 8:25:49 P.M. Central Standard Time,
albertr7 at juno.com writes:

My  grandmother (1867-1955) was born into a German Protestant family  in
the
village of Kondrajec Szlachecki not far from Warsaw.  She  spoke German at
home and her father hired a tutor to teach all his children  to read and
write.  She
could also speak fluent Polish and once  had a great time chatting with a
lady..............
They and other German-speaking relatives
> and
>  friends in the Dakota Territory could not/ did not/ would not speak
>  Polish. NO
> Polish.
>
> They felt that Germans  were "better" than Poles. None of the Germans
> were
>  Catholic...they all were German Lutheran.

Hello Al,

Thank you for sharing about your family. It sounds like her father was
affluent, if they "hired a tutor", and it seems that acceptance and tolerance
often comes with education.

My family were all farmers. The 3 from Empire of Germany all went to public
school and learned high German which was taught in all of the  German schools.
(One family spoke Low German at home, and he was not as  respected as others
who spoke high German at home. As I am sure that you know,  Low was usually
spoken in the northern lowlands and high was usually spoken in  the southern
high lands. Unless, again, you went to school...then you  learned high wherever
you lived.)

I would assume (I do not know) that many of the boys were kept home to  farm,
so didn't attend school regularly. I do know that the one grandparent from
Volynia (Russia) only attended 2 years of school, and although she could "write
 a letter", speak German and fluent English after she came to America, she
had  little education.

I could also assume that if your family was from Russia, it may be that in
their locale, they worked/talked/associated with Poles more often than perhaps
the Germans to the west, since most Germans were fairly cloistered while
living  in Russia...Do you know what your grandmother's father did for a living?
Did  your family ever say if they spoke Russian, or talked/intereacted/visited
with  the local native Russian populace? That would be interesting to find out.

Again, thanks for sharing. It was very uplifting to hear.

Nellie, a  68-yr-old root digger