[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Schmidt of Rozyszcze Parish

Ron Neuman ron at neuman.ca
Tue Sep 6 19:36:01 PDT 2005

Jerry - To the best of my knowledge, there are no Moravian Church
records in Volhynia.  As I understand it, the Moravian Church was
unable to get official recognition from the Russian government,
therefore all of their records (births, marriages and baptisms) are
recorded in Lutheran parish records in Volhynia.  I have found all of
my Moravian ancestral families from Volhynia in the Lutheran records
in the St. Petersburg files.  The inability of the Moravians to
obtain official Russian government recognition as a denomination
separate from the Lutherans is considered to be one of the reasons
for the exodus of the Moravians from Volhynia in the 1890's.  The
first migration was to Brazil in the early 1890's, and a second
migration was to western Canada (specifically Alberta) starting in
1894 when they founded the settlement areas of Bruderfeld and
Bruderheim.  The Moravian settlement in Brazil (Bruderthal was the
name) eventually was absorbed by other religions (most likely
Lutheran); however, the Moravian congregations in Alberta expanded
and are still very much in existence (and in fact they have an
excellent set of church records dating back to 1895).  In fact their
early church records in Canada give the places of birth of all of the
members of the congregation who were born in either Volhynia or Poland.

There are some scattered bits of information (such as one listing of
Moravian families in Volhynia compiled by a Moravian minister named
Steinberg) containing names of Moravians in Volhynia.  I believe that
Virginia Less and Cy Harke have done some work with these lists.

With respect to the Moravians in Poland, I also think that there were
no specific Moravian records, but rather you will also find those
families in the Lutheran records (even if they were affiliated with
the Moravian Church).  That has certainly been the case for my
ancestral families that I have traced from Volhynia back into Poland
(Lipperts and Henkelmanns).  They came to Alberta in 1894 as
Moravians, but they are in the Lutheran church records both in
Volhynia (from the 1870's to 1880's) and in Poland (from the late
1700's to the 1870's).

Jerry also mentions that they might have converted to become
Baptists.  I do not have enough knowledge of Baptist records to
comment on whether that is an option worth trying.