[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Researching Beyond the Family Tree

Greg Mason gmason001 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 1 03:14:50 PST 2006

Lorne and List members:

I have been involved in a DNA research project on my paternal line
for the last two-three years.  I can report that using y chromosome
DNA research, I was able to break through a dead end barrier that has
existed in my research for 50 years.  However, let me be very clear,
DNA research is not a panacea - it is a very good tool, but it should
be used in conjunction with other established research methods that
we all have been using for years. It really helps to confirm
circumstantial paper record evidence; it also is meaningful when you
can compare your results with others who have a positive defined
paper trail.  On the other end of the spectrum, in what I will term
"looking for a needle in a haystack," it may be helpful to place your
research into a family grouping, but it may not give you direct
descendent evidence. Charles Kerchner has published a pretty slick
piece that helps explain what I mean here:   http://www.kerchner.com/
zip+four-analogy.htm
(By the way, Charles has a very good site with lots of articles and
information for the beginner.)

And, as with other scientific fields of study, the user need to
devote considerable time to learn about the subject of DNA.  There is
no simple and easy path to success, at least I haven't found one
yet.  The results you receive from the testing laboratory, when
inserted into the statistical model, will give you a range that you
then have to interpret within the confines of your other research.
For example, you might find that by matching 37 out of 37 markers
with another person, you have a 90% confidence interval that you
share a common ancestor within the last 7 generation.  So, based on
these results, one must combine the DNA and the other research to see
if it solves your problem.

Although I have had my  mitochondrial DNA tested, I have not had any
success in using it productively yet.  And, that is because I am not
working with other researchers who are in the same maternal line.
I'm in the "needle in a haystack" research activity.

Now, as to companies:  We have been using FamilyTreeDNA as our
company for our Mason Family Project.  I have been very pleased with
their prices, results, timeliness, and willingness to help you.
(Their web site leaves a lot to be desired in the navigation arena
however.)  They are associated with a testing lab at the University
of Arizona, which I believe also is the group supporting the National
Geographic world-wide geographic project.  I have not used any other
companies, so I cannot vouch for nor compare them with FTDNA

All in all, DNA can be a very useful tool to help solve problems and
challenges beyond the era of paper trail evidence. And, I believe
that most SGGEE members are in this category once you get back to the
late 1790s.
Greg Mason