[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] answers on travel routes

James Gambrel jgambrel at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 4 21:27:12 PDT 2006

There were two ways to travel from Europe to North America.  One was the
Direct way, and it cost about twice as much as the "Indirect" way.  The
Direct way was from a port where the ship would sail directly to the USA or
Canada, such as Bremen or Hamburg.  The Indirect way was to take a train to
a port in northern Europe, and then a small boat to London, and then another
train to Liverpool, and then a boat to Canada or USA. So it depends how much
money the people had, to pay for their trip.  My grandparents sailed from
Bremen to New York, and then took a train to Winnipeg, and then another
train to
The Interlake region in Manitoba.  My husbands grandparents took the other
route and sailed from Liverpool to Quebec City, and then took a train to
Manitoba.

Muriel