[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] help

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 5 07:25:37 PDT 2006

At 07:54 PM 04/04/2006, Marg Driechel wrote:
>Hi
>When German Lutherans immigrated from Volhynia in 1890 and then
>spent a year in Winnipeg, what would they have been doing
>there?  Would they have worked on Mennonite
>farms?  Is there any way to get information about them at this
>time?  My grandmother (Lydia Quast or Kwast) was born in 1891 while
>the family spent the year (1890-1891) in Winnipeg and was baptised
>in a Lutheran Church there, but I can not find the name of the
>church - hoping to find a record of her baptism.
>Marg

Since I am originally from Winnipeg, I can attest to the high quality
farm land that exists in the region with top soil in places several
meters deep.  Germans would tolerate the cold winters and floods
there to take advantage of that land.

Many Germans from Volhynia spent a year or more working on Mennonite
farms south of Winnipeg, building a stake so that they could buy
their own land.  Some did take fairly immediate advantage of cheap
homestead land while others worked longer so that they could buy
already developed land.

Some stayed in Winnipeg, taking on unskilled labour jobs, etc. to
build their stake.  If they were in Winnipeg, the record pre1895
would be at Trinity Lutheran.  I've had success searching those
records in person but understand that mailed requests for help may
not be yield results.  If they were working for the Mennonites, you
might find birth info at Municipal Offices in either Steinbach or Altona.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca