[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Migrations of people--Germans to Wohlynia

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 19 15:33:22 PDT 2006

While the typical German in Volhynia was not wealthy, there were some who were doing well, owning flour mills, blacksmith shops, etc.  Others would at least have an interest in land and livestock that could be sold, albeit at below market values.  So the answer to your question really depends on individual circumstances, the time frame of the migration, etc.

And for those who could not raise enough cash, there was the sponsorship program from North America (or at least from Canada) which we discussed about a month or so ago.  Their fare would be paid, for example, by a farmer at Gretna, Manitoba.  The immigrant would work it off on his farm for a year or two after his arrival and then move on to his own farm.

Jerry Frank