[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] -Spelling Changes-'Going Back'-

Otto otto at schienke.com
Thu Apr 20 08:10:32 PDT 2006

Morning Everyone,

A few observations on spelling variations and 'going back'.

I've also come across variations in spelling of names and places in
records as one passes through time and then became aware to the fact
that these changes are introduced quickly. Not only the 'c'
substitution for 'k', also the 'k' for the 'ck'.

My curiosity being aroused I began researching, not the demography of
the village cluster, but  the background of the pastors serving the
parish. Changes, including influx of population, were oft connected
to them. A young pastor, fresh out of the seminary, would be eager to
introduce new ideas to his parishioners.  He often was the 'outside
world' answer for the rural and isolated people. It is difficult to
comprehend the isolation of those times in comparison to our era, as
the youth refer to it, 'jacked in' information world at your finger
tips, the world we live in.

The SGGEE Web-site has parish information, also some information as
to who the pastors were that served.
Membership in SGGEE has proven beneficial to me. It remains one of my
wiser decisions.

The question also arose as to why many of the German emigrants did
not return to their original homeland when the going got tough...
Many sound reasons have been aired regarding their choices for the
future.  A question not answered is, "Why did they leave in the first
place?" "Why did they emigrate from Germany?  What conditions existed
in the villages and states, causing their emigration to foreign soil
and unforeseen hardship in the first place? Whatever it was, they
undoubtedly chose not to go back to it.  Even Adolph Hitler, near his
demise, voiced a lament over America gaining the upper hand as the
paraphrased following, "They have so many of our courageous Germans,
the ones with the strength and determination to leave us in the first
place, seeking a better life, they possess the vigor and stamina to
change the world."

Richard O. Schienke
. . .  Otto

                      " The Zen moment..." wk. of March 5, 2006
                         "Remove what isn't... What is remains."