[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Spelling Changes - "ski"

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Thu Apr 20 10:20:21 PDT 2006

Eduardo,

I do not speak German or Polish, but in managing the master Pedigree
Database for SGGEE, I would say that you are lucky that your name was
not even more significantly Polonized.    Evidently neither your
ancestors, nor their Polish neighbors were able to relate your
surname to an equivalent Polish surname.    If they had, then your
surname while in Poland might have been changed as some of the
following surnames changed.   Everyone needs to be on the lookout for
how a German name might be changed while in Poland.

Koenig became Krol (both names mean King)
Schwarz became Czarnecki (both names mean black)
Kirschbaum became Wisniewski (both names mean cherry tree)

There are also other changes that occur in names, simply because
there was no standard way of spelling until the late 1800s.   For
instance, one of my surnames is Duerr (that MAY be the correct
spelling).    I have also seen it spelled as follows:

Duerr or Dyr or Dyrr or Duhr or Deren or Dicer or Doehr or Doerr or
Dirr or Dohr or Duehr or Der or Dehr.    The rule should be in your
research that if a name sounds like your surname, it may well be your surname.

See our list of alternate surnames at
http://www.sggee.org/AlternateSurnamesDatabase.pdf

You are perhaps lucky that your surname did not become Komarski, as
the Poles would then have had a good belly laugh, since your family
would then have been the family of mosquitos or gnats!

A Polish friend, who was born in Poland, does not know why surnames
end in ski (male) or ska (female)

Gary Warner