[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] how many of us were there?

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 20 20:46:43 PDT 2006

At 09:18 PM 20/04/2006, Vera-Lynne Benson wrote:
>Does anybody know how many Germans lived in Volhynia
>during the 1700's?
>
>And by WWII -- how many German's lived in that region?
>What was the percentage of German's in the Rowno area?
>
>  - vl

There were very few Germans of consequence in Volhynia prior to
1800.  They were primarily doctors, pharmacists, lawyers, some
soldiers, and other upper class people.  Farmers did not begin moving
in until about 1816.  There were only about 5000 Germans scattered
throughout Volhynia prior to 1860.  Best estimates for around 1900
are 200,000.  That number went down prior to WW I due to emigration
and expulsions.  I don't know if there are any WW II era
estimates.  Don't forget that after WW I, Volhynia was split between
Poland and Russia.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca