[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ger-Poland-Volhynia Digest, Vol 35, Issue 24

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Fri Apr 21 13:03:18 PDT 2006

Gary Warner schrieb:

>I just asked a Polish friend who speaks both Polish and Russian, and
>who is also part Ukrainian.   She says that the sound of ski and sky
>is identical, but she says it has to do with the Cyrillic alphabet
>that the letter is a y instead of an i.   She says that typically a
>person with an ski name is Polish (or at least their name was formed
>in Poland), and that sky is usually a Russian or Ukrainian name (or
>at least their name was formed in Russia or the Ukraine).    I
>suppose that a German living in both Poland and Volhynia might have a
>Polonized name that ended in ski, and when they moved to Volhynia
>that it might have changed to sky.

Gary,
sorry, but this is definitely wrong. In Russian and Ukrainian there is
never a "y" [in Russian "iery"] after a "k". It is written instead as "i
- i kratkoye" and transcribed in Latin characters as "ij". If you want,
I can send you the original cyrillian writing in a private mail (as I
suppose, the ger-poland-volhynia list is still not able to transmit
Unicode [UTF-8]).

Guenther