[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] how many of us were there?

richard benert benovich at imt.net
Fri Apr 21 11:25:31 PDT 2006

There are some official statistics available to help answer some of these
questions.

To start with the question of the percentage of Germans in the Rowno area,
Jörg Wiesner's 1980 doctoral dissertation, the English title of which would
be "The Social and Economic Status of German Farmers in Volhynia, 1919 to
1939" produces a table showing the Polish figures for a 1931 census.  In
Rowno district, out of a total of 252,787, Germans comprised 7,458 (345 of
whom lived in the city).  This is slightly under 3%.  Other districts had
higher percentages (Lutzk had 6% and Kostopol had 4.7%) and others lower
(Dubno, 1.2% and Wladimir 1.8%).  The German population of Lutzk district
was 17,619, with 1,024 in the city).

The number of Germans transferred from Volhynia, Galicia and the Narew
region (which were to be placed under Soviet control by the Hitler/Stalin
agreement) in 1940 was 128,000, according to Joseph Schechtman, "European
Population Transfers, 1939-1945".  Of these, 64,554 were from Polish
Volhynia, 55,400 from Galicia and 8,053 from the Narew area.  Interestingly,
these figures are higher than both the Polish and German figures at the
time.  The Poles numbered 46,383 Germans in Volhynia and 36,000 in Galicia,
and the Germans thought there were 60,000 in Volhynia and 51,000 in Galicia.
This was explained at the time by one Dr. Gradmann (a Nazi) by the fact that
"under the tremendous influence of the unification of German blood and in
view of the possibility of returning to the Reich, many persons discovered
in themselves the Deutschtum that they had long forgotten."  While we may
doubt the attraction of the supposed blood "unification", there is no doubt
that many people with very limited German ancestry tried to get out of
Soviet clutches by claiming to be Germans.  Hence the work of the EWZ and
all that classifying of people by supposed racial characteristics.

For Soviet Volhynia, I'm not aware of any hard figures.  It has been claimed
that maybe 60,000 Germans returned after WW I from the Volga and Siberia.
Both Jerry and Karl have guessed that maybe there were 150,000 in both
Volhynias, which is probably a good guess, although I'd think a little
optimistic.  If we subtract the approx. 65,000 who left Polish Volhynia in
1940, that would leave about 85,000 for the Soviet side.  If there had been
uninterrupted prosperity and no famine, shootings or deportations in
between, I suppose the 60,000 could have grown to 85,000.  But, as Karl
said, these things happened.   It is sometimes said that the Ukraine as a
whole contained about 200,000 Germans when the Nazis moved in.  Taking
Karl's guess of 30% for Soviet Volhynia, that would make it 60,000 for that
region.

Hope this helps.

Dick Benert