[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans in the Baltic States

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 22 08:02:07 PDT 2006

Every once in awhile, when helping someone with a particular problem,
I encounter new "finds" on the Internet as the result of a GOOGLE
search.  My latest covers Germans in the Baltic States of Estonia,
Latvia, and Lithuania along with regional names such as Kurland,
Livland and Livonia.  While SGGEE does not directly cover that
region, we know that some Germans from there migrated down to
Volhynia and others of our readers have more direct connections.

Here are some links that may lead to further resources in searching
in those regions.

http://www.roots-saknes.lv/Religions/Lutherans/1863/Personal_bestande.htm#A
A listing of all the Lutheran Consistories in Russia along with
regional points of reference for each with the pastors in
charge.  Where there are Lutherans, you can be sure there are Germans.

http://www.roots-saknes.lv/Religions/Lutherans/LutheransBasic.htm   A
brief history of Lutherans in Latvia with some hints for research.

http://www.roots-saknes.lv/Mainroots.htm  General help for
genealogical research in Latvia.

http://www.uta.fi/isss/monnetcentre/peripheries/pdf/Alexander_Ewig.pdf
A study of the conflict between Lutheran and the Orthodox Churches in
the Baltic States which would certainly lead to an understanding of
German life there in the 19th century.

http://www.folklore.ee/Folklore/vol28/livonia.pdf  More on the
Lutheran / Orthodox conflict with emphasis on its impact on the peasant class.

http://depts.washington.edu/baltic/papers/moravian.html   A paper on
the Moravian Brethren influence in the Baltic regions.

I'm sure that lots more can be found with the right search
terms.  Please note that I do not stand behind the accuracy or
veracity of any of this material.  I simply point to it as possible
opportunities for further research.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca