[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Moving around in Volhynia

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 22 09:24:45 PDT 2006

At 12:56 PM 21/04/2006, Wkrelease at aol.com wrote:
>I have been reading with great  interest, what people thought were the 'whys'
>of moving in and out of Volhynia.
>     I have yet to see this reason. There  were Jews living in that
> area also.
>They moved out because of persecution. When  the Jewish people were being
>persecuted in one area they moved to another area  or country. It is a known
>fact, the Jewish people rarely had more than two  generations born
>in the same
>area. All you have to do to find out this  information, is to follow a family
>tree and you will see that each generation  was rarely born in the
>same town or
>country as their parents or  grandparents.
>
>Bev Carlson

It is quite true that there are some similarities between the Jewish
problem and that of the Germans.  The movie, "Fiddler on the Roof"
not only shows the Jewish life but also provides a little glimpse of
what German life might have been like in these areas.

The Volhynian and Russian Polish regions covered by SGGEE are all
within what is known as the Pale of Settlement, an area to which the
Russians forced Jews to settle.  For a map see
http://www.friends-partners.org/partners/beyond-the-pale/eng_captions/29-9.html
.  Further reading can also be found by GOOGLEing that term.

The primary difference is that the Jews were subjected to enforced
migration by the Russians throughout the 19th century.  The Germans
may have experienced some persecution in earlier years but forced
migration did not take place until c.1905.  The German migrations
prior to that were voluntary.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca