[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Migrations of people--Germans to Wohlynia

A.D.Chalifoux a.doris at telus.net
Sat Apr 22 12:03:12 PDT 2006

On 17-Apr-06, at 11:34 AM, Karl Krueger wrote:

> Rita,
>   I am particularly interested.. ...  Those who were most fortunate
> were able to get out of communist controlled German territory into
> West Germany.
>
>   Why did they leave for North America? Think of what kind of
> circumstances you would be under trying to make a living. You would
> have been fortunate enough to make it out to West Germany but, 1) you
> had no land (most of these explanted Germans were farmers), 2) jobs
> were scarce since the war destroyed so much of the infrastructure in
> Germany, 3) living conditions were terrible at this time yet you had
> to provide for a family. The US and Canada in particular really held
> the best opportunity to still make a decent living in their life so
> that promise was a good enticement to leave Europe.
Actually I believe that lack of housing in west Germany contributed
hugely to emigration after WW.II.  In the case of my family, my Dad had
recieved training as a bricklayer and always had work.  If we had had a
decent place to live my mom would not have agreed to leave.  This was
in 1955.  The same was true for other family members who left as early
as1952.  Another huge factor was that Germany was not home.  I was a
little girl when we left but I remember a mom hauling her kid away from
me in a playground sandbox, saying  " Mit Polacken spielen wir
nicht"(We don't play with Polacks).  Neighbors also pointed and talked
because mom was pregnant with her third child.  There was much
predjudice against Fluechtlinge (refugees) even in church.  Many
Germans felt that refugees were to blame for lack of housing and they
should just have stayed where they were.  This sentiment was of course
not  shared by all or even most Germans,  but it's hard to live where
even a minority feels this way.  The alternative was to go to Canada
and be with friends and family many of whom had also come from
Wolhynian at some time.  Many were sponsered by an agreement with the
NAB churches to bring in families for farm work.  The culture was
familiar---German Baptist  in a foreign country. You  could travel to
many other communities in several provinces and states  and find a
familiar culture and familiar names and faces.
Doris Chalifoux