[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] names

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 22 17:34:40 PDT 2006

At 04:46 PM 22/04/2006, Günther Böhm wrote:
>Lloyd Friedrick schrieb:
>
> >Here are two family names...........Hartmann .....  Kupferstein
> >Would these be common Jewish family names in Poland - Volhynia ?
> >
>Lloyd,
>yes, definitely. HARTMANN has more than 1000 records in the
>www.yadvashem.org database, KUPFERSTEIN 783 records.
>
>Guenther

However, to reiterate a discussion that took
place here a year or so ago, this does not mean
that Lloyd's family has any Jewish
connections.  My Frank surname also has more than
1000 hits on that database but they were not
Jews.  Jews did not use surnames until forced to
do so in the late 1700s.  It is therefore far
more likely that they adapted or adopted your
surname than that we descend from them.

I am not, by the way, anti Jewish.  I just don't
think we should get side tracked into Jewish
research unless documentation leads us there.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca