[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Topsnik-Howard krushel

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sat Apr 22 21:38:28 PDT 2006

Evening Howard,

We must still wait for the Yiddish and Slavic definition of 'Tops',
if any, before we reach a speculative conclusion.

An approach to the word "Tops" in Germanic-based languages.
Old Norse 'toppr'-tuft of hair, Old Frisian 'top'-"tuft, Old Dutch
'topp', Dutch 'top', Old High German 'zopf' "tuft of hair"

The Prussians had an open door treaty with the Dutch, allowing travel
between the two countries.  Dutch, including Dutch Mennonites,
emigrated to the Prussian Provinces, then on to the Ukraine and Volga
region, Russia.

Tops (plural) could well be Dutch.  Dutch in the Ukraine could well
be Mennonite.
Dutch 'Tops', with a Slavic 'nik' suffix added, "Topsnik" could refer
to a barber or a weaver.
. . . Maybe.  We must wait and see.
This is a discovery process and many knowledgeable people are out there.

==============================
On surnames:
I agree with Jerry Frank, a distinction must be made between Hebrew
Bible names that Christians used and still use, and the German
surnames that European Rabbi-led Jews assumed. It is legal and
honorable on both sides of the fence to do so.  We use their names,
they use ours. We like each other.

The mistake occurs when one attempts to use a surname (in reality, no
more than a sound) to establish ethnic identity.  A breeding line
must be established  to prove out genetic relationship. It is
referred to as "following the paper trail"  and present day we add
"matching DNA markers".We could now name it the 'Y-Trail' or the
'Mitochondria Links'  Gene-alogy is about genes and who we are, not
what we choose to identify with.  After 200 years of breeding,
genetic relationship with the past is about bred out, and the surname
only remains as a 'hook' to hang family history on.

Richard O. Schienke
. . .  Otto

                      " The Zen moment..." wk. of March 5, 2006
                         "Remove what isn't... What is remains."