[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Birth record abbreviations - Col. vs. Kol.

Annegret Krause krause.annegret at t-online.de
Sun Apr 23 01:34:59 PDT 2006

The differences between p and pf, e and oe, i and ue, oe and ue result
from the difference between Low German and High German. Plum and Appel
are Low German, Pflaume and Apfel are High Germen (See Grenke and
Groenke, Krieger and Krueger and so on). Flaume (Pflaume without “P”) is
nothing but sloppily spoken High German.
Formerly the spelling of names often followed the Low German
pronunciation, later people had to spell their names exactly in the
official (High German) manner.
I think our ancestors took some liberties with the spelling of their
names. So my g-grandfather signed a document with Groening, another with
Gruening.

“K” and “C”:
“C” corresponds to the Latin spelling. Maybe it was a question of
“fashion”, because it appeared to be nobler than “K”.

Annegret Krause