[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] NELL-Schemionken, Nicol-as

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sun Apr 23 20:04:30 PDT 2006

Evening or morning on your end Nell,

I always have a bit of difficulty using Germanic or Slavic
distinctions when it comes to language parts. Language is ancient, we
are the remnants of a genetic dust-storm, linguists within the last
500 years or so classified words, naming those groups. . . A question
that always runs through my mind is "Does the horse know it is a horse?"

You now mention East Prussia/Ost Preussen. . .
That could change the meaning of the suffix. If the village name was
"Schemion-ken", the surname spelled 'Schemion-eck'. with the suffix
'eck' could well be East Prussian dialect.  'Ecke' is High German for
corner, 'eck' could well be a low-German form of ecke.

Individuals on this ListServ that hail from East Prussia may be able
to verify this. Let's wait and see. Their input will be appreciated.
Further comment on both "Schemion" and "eck" will be appreciated.

nell stated>  "I have been told previously that the name is Slavic,
probably Masurian and certainly means little or son of Simeon.  Until
I started this research I had never heard of Masuria but it does
appear that a lot of the Schemioneck families have lived in this area
(previously in East Prussia, now Poland). Although I haven't been
able to confirm it, I think our ancestor came from Summowen, East
Prussia (now Summowo, Poland).  I have even found mention of a
village of Schemionken in the area."<
=======================
My maternal great grandfather's surname is "Langas" The 'as' suffix
is Lithuanian (Lithuania ruled a large area of Poland at one time) It
indicates 'from the family of Lang'. I also have a "Louisa" in the
family.  My paternal grandmother is Louisa Blank.

Your Nicolas, Nicolis is the Lithuanian way of writing the German
surname "Nickel'.

-Online translation applications work with a limited number of
present day language terms and leave things to be desired.

nell stated>  "I have a similar mystery with the other side of the
family with the name of Nicklass.  Another name originally from the
Greeks,then given to a saint, it seems to have so many variations -
Nickels, Nicles, Nicolas, Nicolaus, Niclas, Nicholls...  There seem
to be very few Nicklass families around now.  I know the vagaries of
automatic page translations on the web but does anyone have any idea
why Haus Nicklass (a hotel/restaurant mear Nurnberg) would translate
as Hotel Pitchlet?"<
"

. . .  Otto

                      " The Zen moment..." wk. of March 5, 2006
                         "Remove what isn't... What is remains."