[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] The Name "Kerchmerbiche"?

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Mon Apr 24 01:34:46 PDT 2006

Cynthia Howland schrieb:

>On the Ellis Island record (ship's manifest) for arrival of my grandfather,
>Emil Zippel (Cypell), in 1911 the name of the contact in Detroit appears to
>be Lura Kechmerbiche, a cousin.  I have not been able to find this surname
>anywhere.   Can anyone shed light on this name or equivalents?

Cynthia,
I viewed the original ship manifest and think it could read
KREUCHMERMICH, and the writer seems to have stopped after KREUCHMER and
continued again. In Germany, the name KREUSCHMER is not very common but
occurring (30 entries in the German TR; in my home town Brandenburg I
knew some). In the next line, he writes Detroit Mich and the "Mich" is
the same as above. So it could be just a writing mistake.

Guenther