[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Name variations etc.

GVLESS at aol.com GVLESS at aol.com
Mon Apr 24 14:40:22 PDT 2006

Since everyone is now discussing the variations of names and origins I  would
like to know if anyone can clarify for me the LESS name.  My husband  and
other family members have always thought that perhaps this was a shortened
version of a name, sometimes thought it must be Jewish (which the family insists
is not as my husband's father spoke platdeutsch), and of course where in Poland
 may this family have been before they moved into Volhynia.
Some researchers in past have said they have found the name in Polish  church
microfilms in villages northwest of Warsaw.  We estimate the  migration of
husband's grandparents into Volhynia about 1875 or so.   (Birthdates of an uncle
and husband's father in St. Pete films put them there  about  this time.  We
have tried variations in immigration research in  the spelling of name like
Lass, Loes, Loesch.  The Ellis Island  immigration lists do show about 85 Less
names.  But no listing though  yet for my husband's father who arrived in 1903
as an 18 yr. old. And  Ancestry insists the Less name is Jewish when in
contact with them.

I intend to do more research after I move into a retirement facility early
this summer but since this discussion on variations of names is being discussed
 now I thought I'd ask something at this time about the Less name.

Is this name still around in Germany is another question I have had.

An off-again-on-again researcher, Virginia Less