[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] -TOPSNIK- Howard Krushel

Otto otto at schienke.com
Mon Apr 24 20:46:44 PDT 2006

Evening Howard,
The following should provide a synopsis of your surname "Topnik".
(I will contact you by personal e-letter to discuss East Prussian
relatives and towns)

It will not provide ethnic or genetic identity. A paper trail or DNA
marker-base is necessary.

To all readers: The following is a speculative scenario created by
me  to illustrate the information inherent in a word. If any of it is
applicable to the surname in Howard Krushel's original query is left
for Howard to prove out, or reject, with legal documentation.

The area involved is the Baltic Coast and East Prussia/Ost Preussen.
The area was subjected to political abuse for over eight hundred
years, conscription by a German Order, by Sweden, by Saxony, by
Prussia, by Napoleon French, by Russians. . . creating a 'sweating
palms' life for the average man. (I may have missed a few)

It was not uncommon for a conscript to initiate 'untergetauchen',
i.e. ducking under the water like a duck. (generals of yesteryear
would avoid marching near a wooded area near dusk and night because
of that very reason. The conscript (against his will) well knew the
Kanonier/Artilleriemann/Cannoneer, would soon become Kanonenfutter/
Cannon fodder unless he became creative and be able to live long
enough to reproduce.  One of Napoleon's top generals knew what the
outcome of a coming battle would be if his soldiers changed their
underwear the night before the battle.  The men did not want to die
wearing dirty shorts.  They sensed if it would be a losing battle.

The following may well be a 'creative' surname.  As example: "Hans
Topnik" which is, "John, the artilleryman.
The "Topsnik" spelling indicates it being spoken in a flatland German
dialect.

The specific dictionary references may not be in the Polish language
yet are Slavic.
(I will verify the term "Topnik" in the next e-letter to my Warsaw
cousin)

http://www.pmf.hr/
http://www.phy.hr/~matko/DICTIONARY/ENGHR/EH.txt
http://www.babylon.com/definition/ARTILLERYMAN/Croatian
artillery = topnitvo
Artilleryman = topnik

Adding the Baltic Coast Platt Deutsches  's' (perhaps Pommern) to a
Slavic noun (top) and a Slavic 'nik'  we have 'tops-nik'  meaning 'a
cannoneer' one skilled with artillery.(one skilled in gunnery.)

http://rjecnik.lugbih.org/az_index_engleski.php
ARTIFICIAL - VJETACKI
ARTILLERY - ARTILJERIJA
ARTILLERY - ARTILJERIJSKI
ARTILLERY - TOPNITVO
ARTILLERYMAN - ARTILJERAC
ARTILLERYMAN - TOPNIK
ARTISAN - MEHANICAR
ARTISAN - OBRTNIK

Richard O. Schienke
. . .  Otto

                      " The Zen moment..." wk. of March 5, 2006
                         "Remove what isn't... What is remains."