[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Jerry Frank-Mazovian/Kashuban

Otto otto at schienke.com
Tue Apr 25 10:51:43 PDT 2006

Morning Jerry,

You stated: "I suppose one would also have to consider how some
Polish dialects (Mazovian - especially in East Prussia, Kashuban -
especially in West Prussia; etc.)  might also influence the construct
and interpretation of a name."

There is no supposing. You are correct in making the statement.
They must be taken into consideration.
(I may question the dialect status of the two tongues-read on)

I limited my comments due to "Topnik" being referred to as a Slavic
term. Note the quote from "The Story of Language" by the author Mario
Pei, revised addition, fifth printing, Lippincott, Library of
Congress Card Number 65-12599  US.
"The Slavic tongues show perhaps closer connections among themselves
than most of the other Indo-European branches.  An Italian and a
Spaniard, or a Spaniard and a Portuguese, each speaking in his own
tongue, will understand each other with difficulty.  None will
understand a Frenchman or a Rumanian without special study.  A
German, a Hollander, an Englishman, and a Swede will be unable to
carry on intelligently if each insists on using his own tongue.  But
a Russian, a Pole, a Czech, and a Yugoslav can manage to achieve a
fair degree of understanding."

Following are my reasons for not referring to the non-Germanic
languages in the area as simply Slavic:
(I am not qualifying language superiority of one over the other-
Slavic is a very rich and complex language-base)

1. A linguist 'named' them as Slavic.
-Not all linguists, etymologists, or philologists agree with that
decision.-

Note Mario Pei's statement: "The Slavic languages are sometimes
grouped with the East Baltic tongues (Lithuanian and Lettish) to form
a Balto-Slavic group, but while Lithuanian and Lettish are fairly
close to each other, they are comparatively remote from the Slav
tongues." (West-Baltic)

2. I choose not to dismiss the Lithuanian and Latvian language-base
and classify it under a generic classification.

3. My foremost reason: Many of the West Baltic Coast words find root
in a language deemed extinct, yet that deemed extinct language is not
extinct and links to ancient Sanskrit.

O.P., a language we can consider a forerunner to the Lithuanian
tongue, yet different. The language was spoken by the ancient Prusi,
who gave their name to the coastal areas.  The language is Old
Prussian, a West-Baltic language. The Teutonic Order of Monks made an
effort to eradicate their existence. The genes of the Prusi are mixed
in with the coastal people as are bits of their supposedly dead
language.

Following is a website I refer to often.  read the webpage-a
fascinating synopsis.

http://poshka.bizland.com/prussian/reconstructions.htm

Scroll down to the Old Prussian Dictionary!
For those who still remember some Ost Preussische Platt, compare
words and word roots...
Try compare Mazovian/Kashuban words-

an example:
O.P.
KRÂUŠÂS
(KRAUSAS) nom pl f Crausios E 618: Birnen / pears

(krushus)
I think of this definition every time I read the name, Howard
'Krushel". There may exist no relationship, yet I think of it.

In discussion with my first cousin, Georg Wohlert, (parents from
Tharau/Tarau) he oft brings up the sweet "kruschken" (east prussian
platt) that would hang ripe from the tree of Tante Skotke, stating
how refreshing it was to bite into a ripe "kruschke".

(it is never ending... next I think of "Skotke", 'little Skot',
Scot?... Similar to Immanuel "Kant"? -'Kant' a Germanization of the
Scottish  surname of Immanuel's forefathers, "Cant.")

Richard O. Schienke
. . .  Otto

                      " The Zen moment..." wk. of March 5, 2006