[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Strangers Within Our Gates

John Rauchert jfrauchert at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 25 13:33:08 PDT 2006

The weak eyes mentioned in this passage resonates with my family. My Great
Aunt was not allowed to immigrate in 1904 with the rest of the family due to
weak eyes. She stayed in Volhynia. Years later (1920-1930s) the family
received a desperate letter from her (unfortunately lost) saying that her
last cow had been taken away from her. My dad who was making good money for
the time period sent her two hundred dollars.  They never heard from her
again.