[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] NELL-Schemionken, Nicol-as- East Prussia

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Wed Apr 26 01:28:08 PDT 2006

Sig Matt schrieb:

>Yes indeed, "die Ecke" (in German Hochdeutsch)
>becomes "de Eck" in Ostpreussen Plattdeutsch.
>
>Which leads to a question of my own.
>Where does the term "Low German" originate?

Hello Sig,
it is geographic. But we can also say that Hochdeutsch is the newer and
Niederdeutsch the older variety of the German language. They are still
today separated by the Benrather Linie (Essen = Niederdeutsch, Cologne =
Hochdeutsch). Netherlands and Flamish are again subgroups of
Niederdeutsch. The varieties were separated in the second German
consonant shifting (Lautverschiebung) which happened in the 6th to 8th
century when the High German language arose of the southern West
Germanic dialects. Under
www.uni-potsdam.de/u/germanistik/ls_dia/umfrage/ndeutsch.htm you find a
map of the Lower German dialects.

Guenther