[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] -Political "Standardized" Language-

Ed Sonnenburg esonnenburg at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 26 08:16:53 PDT 2006

When translating old letters I always found it a challenge when the writer
threw in words or phrases from another language.  When people live
in a certain place for a generation or two they pick up local words.
My GR relatives and friends would flawlessly speak German but
then curse in either Russian or Polish.

I always found it a challenge to understand the low German
but when the GRs from Mexico spoke low German and
threw in Spanish words it was almost impossible to understand.

It is pretty hard for me to speak German today without throwing
in an English word -  Ich geh und leere aus den Garbage.
I'm going to empty the garbage can.  It was too hard
to say Muell Eimer.