[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Leaving Volhynia

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 26 18:04:28 PDT 2006

At 12:33 PM 26/04/2006, Christopher Menke wrote:
>I posted this yesterday, hopefully will get a response today.
>   1) Was it prohibited by the Russians to emigrate from Volhynia
> (leave Russia) in 1900?
>   2) Was the port of Libau controlled by the Russians in 1900?
>   Thanks alot,
>   Chris Menke

I am not aware of any prohibition against migration out of Russia
prior to WW I.  There may have been issues, paperwork, and other
things that made it very difficult.  For example, some people might
have had to sneak out of the country because the could not get the
appropriate travel documents.

Yes, Libau was in Russia c.1900.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca