[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Leaving Volhynia

Cynthia Howland bluebird07 at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 26 19:21:31 PDT 2006

I am only a beginner in the SGGEE and european history but for what it's
worth our family story is that at the time my grandfather left Russia Poland
(1911) It was illegal for a young man over 15 to leave the country until he
had passed the age of draft lottery.  My grandfather payed a border guard 9
rubles to give him a signal when the coast was clear and he ran as fast and
far as he could make his legs go before he stopped.  He then made his way to
Bremen to take a ship to America.

Cynthia Howland