[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Nell "Schemion-eck" @ Simeon's castle?

Otto otto at schienke.com
Thu Apr 27 07:18:29 PDT 2006

Evening Nell,
Your mention of East Prussia changed my method of approaching the
challenge of deconstructing your surname "Schemioneck".  There is an
old saying I recall, "How does one eat an elephant?  One bite at a
time."

Besides, my cousin Heinrich, who is buried in Australia would truly
enjoy our discussion, considering his past interest in genealogy, and
undoubtedly join in.       It would be neat to have an Australian
SGGEE member.

Now that I know I am not dealing with Russian? or Ukrainian prefixes,
suffixes, some vowels with one or two consonants thrown in for good
measure, I will expand on the previous.   All is well though, this
serves as an illustrative example of what I've heard Jerry Frank
suggest over and over again on the SGGEE ListServ to individuals
searching for relatives, "Please specify the location, the village
name, villages in proximity, time period and events."  Each cluster
has its unique history and mix of people and languages with their
dialects peculiar to the group that become a serious tool in
uncovering the trail of migration. Nothing exists in a microcosm.

A few details for you to work with: (Polish "Siemion" = Simeon.)
The following are all the same place- Siemionki, Siemonki,
Schemionken, and Bergwalde - latitude 53°58' longitude 22°02'   126
miles NNE of Warsaw/Warszawa/Warschau.

I waited for Warsaw Cousin to give answer to my request and he did
reply:
 >"The names have no apparent 'meaning' (Frege's sense) in my Polish
ears. It sounds like a typical name for a place - a village, not a
city. Maybe linguists would say more... Who knows to the ground level
all of the context we are living in?   :)  -Zbigniew"<
(Be mindful he has scholar level Polish, German, Latin, and soon
English ears.)
(for ones asking, "What is Frege's sense?-see:  http://
plato.stanford.edu/entries/frege/
A map site URL Zbig referred to isolating (2) "Siemionki".
http://mapa.szukacz.pl/?m=Siemionki&zoom=3

The Posen location Siemionki was an estate. The East Prussian
Siemionki "Schemionken" could well be one also.

Siemion-ki is a Polish Spelling - Schemion-ke(n) is a Platt spelling -
Siemionki = little Siemoin     Schemionken = the place -little
Schemion  Schemion-ke(n) singular  Schemionken -the place
(the 'en' suffix common in Dutch and Platt - same as German 'chen'-
Mäd'chen)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminutive#Dutch_and_Low_Saxon
scroll down to Dutch and Low Saxon (the whole page is informative)

Was the estate or village of German, Dutch, Lithuanian, and do not
exclude Swedish ethnicity?
Only further research will tell. RESEARCH "Simeon" in relationship to
Lithuania-May be a Russian connection.

Your surname, "Schemioneck". (the Ostpreussische/East Prussian Platt
definition remains in first place)
I already covered the Platt suffix approach, a one more colorful exists.
"Schemion (eck) could also be the German suffix 'eck', 'egg' = Burg,
Schloss.  Befestige Anlage.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortsname

     Schemioneck = "Simeons Castle"
Your forefathers either worked there or lived there. (they are not
signing their name as "Schemion") They may also only have lived in a
corner "eck" of the village.
The remainder of research is up to you.
On the comment from Tina in Bavaria I state: Nicol(is) (as) ias) is
not Santa Claus. It is a suffix. The records are without doubt from
the Lithuanian domination period. Do not apply modern German language
rules to a time period that may begin in the 1500's.
http://home.unilang.org/wiki3/index.php/Lithuanian_Grammar
http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/lrc/eieol/litol-7-R.html

Today, if alive, John F. Kennedy would state, "Ich bin ein Google
Fanatiker"

Richard O. Schienke
. . .  Otto

                      " The Zen moment..." wk. of March 5, 2006
                         "Remove what isn't... What is remains."