GüntherBöhm-[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Nell "Schemion-eck" @ Simeon's castle?

Otto otto at schienke.com
Thu Apr 27 14:58:45 PDT 2006

Afternoon Günther,
If you read carefully. . . what I've written previously, you will
become aware that "Schemionken" is a specific village or estate
described by the latitude and longitude coordinates. ( Use JewishGen
ShtetlSeeker to locate it.)  I am not searching for any other. I
learned quickly, as a young boy, to test frozen ice with one foot
instead of two.

Nell Schemioneck from Brisbane, Australia, supplied the spellings of
both the surname "Schemioneck" and and village/estate "Schemionken."

I am deconstructing the surname as it is written to derive its
earlier meaning and connect it to the onetime East Prussian village
or estate, if at all possible, for her.
"Schemioneck" could harbor two possible meanings. Both have been
explained. The 'castle' suffix is described as a possible second choice.

A first surname spelling was discussed in the beginning e-letter
thread with the name "Schemion-ek". The suffix is Slavic or could be
a misspelling of the Platt 'eck'.   No 'standard' rules of language
were involved or applied.

Surname 'Schemionek/"Siemion-ek" has a Slavic suffix.   Estate name
'Schemionken'= "Siemion-ki" has a Polish suffix.
We are NOT looking for relatives or villages with a 'sounds like'
name. I am certain Poland has many "little Simeons".

For specific count of surnames in Poland as of the year 2002, I use
the CD database released by the Polish Academy of Sciences, Polish
language Institute, Polish Genealogical Society of America,
"Dictionary Of Surnames In Current Use In Poland At The Beginning Of
The 21st Century"- compiled by Kazimierz Rymut.

I also own and use the Geographical Dictionary of the Kingdom of
Poland and other Slavic countries on CD.

On Apr 27, 2006, at 12:35 PM, Günther Böhm wrote:

> Otto schrieb:
>
>> "Schemion (eck) could also be the German suffix 'eck', 'egg' = Burg,
>> Schloss.  Befestige Anlage.
> Otto,
> you made a pretty tour d'horizon,

. . .  Otto

                      " The Zen moment..." wk. of March 5, 2006
                         "Remove what isn't... What is remains."