[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] 1840 Poznan area to 1860 Volhynia: Stopping Places

William Remus remus at hawaii.edu
Thu Apr 27 15:50:42 PDT 2006

I have been very successfully finding my ancestral Haarwardt family (and other Volhynia families) just east of Poznan in Labischen. Then, all the sudden they disappear after 1840 and reappear in the early 1860's in Volhynia. So they must have spent about 20 years farming in Russian Poland and been driven out by the Polish revolt in Russian Poland in the early 1860's. And to SK and MB around 1900.

So does anyone know what farming areas opened up in the 1840's in Russian Poland that might have attracted them. I believe opportunities around Sampolno, Plock, Rawa and Lodz were around 1800 so too early...

Regards Bill Remus
Haarwardt, Remus, Hoffmann, Podjan, Spitzer, and others ....