[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Archives in Moscow and Slawgorod

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 28 05:18:11 PDT 2006

At 10:20 PM 27/04/2006, Eduardo Kommers wrote:
>Probably someone has already checked the Archives in Moscow.
>Do they have something about Volhynia?
>
>Also, Slawgorod was the principal commercial city in the south of
>Siberia where the germans went from 1905.
>Where are the records for this place?
>
>Eduardo Kommers

It is not known if Moscow Archives has any significant material about
Volhynia.  We do know that:

- It is difficult to get information from that archive.  The American
Historical Society for Germans from Russia as well as the LDS church
have been trying for many years without success.

- We know that Volhynia was under the St. Petersburg Consistory of
the Lutheran Church, not the Moscow Consistory, so those records are
not in Moscow.  I don't know about Baptist or Catholic records for the region.

I believe that the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia
( http://www.ahsgr.org ) which focuses on the Volga River region has
made attempts to find records in Siberia but I don't know if they
have been successful or if they have looked specifically at the
Slawgrod Archive.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca