[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Has anyone tried this film?

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 28 08:03:59 PDT 2006

It is true but of course there are limitations and it may not be complete.

Again however, this ONLY applies to the Germans in the Volga River and Black Sea regions of Russia.  There is no information of value for the Volhynian part of Russia.

Karl Stumpp was a Nazi (I forget his exact position in the German army) responsible for getting information and keeping track of the Germans in Russia as the German army marched eastward. In doing so, he collected a tremendous amount of information about them.  He later, after the war, compiled much of this information into books and maps.  This material is a great resource but is not always accurate or complete.

We know from war records that Stumpp did spend some time in Volhynia.  I have actually seen microfilms of some of this Volhynia material in his own handwriting or prepared with his authorization.  But for some reason, he did not collect very much information in Volhynia.  The result is that his books are of little value for Volhynian German research.

Stumpp did prepare a map of Russian Volhynia showing all the settlements.  Again, I have seen some of the original work on this in the war records.  This map is useful (and is promoted by the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia).  However, the map is incomplete and has several errors.  My SGGEE maps use these maps as a resource but I have added many new places and made corrections to others.

Jerry