[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] 1840 Poznan area to 1860 Volhynia: StoppingPlaces

richard benert benovich at imt.net
Fri Apr 28 10:57:34 PDT 2006

Bill, there is an interesting map in Oskar Kossman's "Die Deutschen in
Polen", which gives founding dates for many German settlements throughout
Congress-Poland, from the 17th to the 19th centuries.  One place that
apparently opened up to German settlement after 1840 was an area about 30
miles n.e. of Warsaw, and slightly s.e. of Radzymin.  A founding date of
1843 is given for Czubajowizna, Majdan, Nadbiel and Deutsch Reczaje.  My
maternal Bartel grandparents moved from Reczaje in the 1860s to Volhynia.
Earlier, like your relatives, they had lived farther west, downstream along
the Vistula.  So that is one possibility.

However, close inspection of this map shows post-1840 founding dates for
several villages in areas that had long harbored German farmers, such as
Sompolno, Lodz, etc.  For example, I find near Sompolno the villages of
Jablkow (1841), Szarlatowa (1855), Olszewo (1861) and Zaryn (1852).  Near
Plock I find Duninow (1840) and Elizin (1850).  Even near Lodz you can find
Apolonia (1840), Florentynow (1855), Chelmy (1850), Marianow (1850) and a
cluster of villages just n.e. of Zgierz including Czaplinek (1859), and
Janow, Hozefow and Ukraina (all 1862).

>From this it would appear that a few new farming areas were developed not
far from the older ones, even after 1840.  In case you're wondering, I can't
see that Kossmann has anything to say in answer to your question.  He
devotes all of 5 or 6 pages to the period between 1840 and 1860, saying that
this was a time of slowing down of migrant activity, save for an influx of
new colonists from Hesse (which may account for some of the new villages in
older areas) and a great outflow to the U.S.  The FHL does have films from
the Radzymin area, if that looks promising to you.  (Alas, I've lost track
of my copies so I can't give you the numbers).

Dick Benert