[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Translations of occupations from ortsippenbuch

shoning at att.net shoning at att.net
Fri Apr 28 19:55:50 PDT 2006

Heiligenpfleger = church paymaster, church treasurer, administrator of church property

Leinenweber = linen weaver

Saeger = sawyer

Waldhauer = woodcutter

Hofbauer = farmer

Geschwester Schulmeister = some type of schoolmaster; if it were "Geschwister", I would guess a schoolmaster for female members of some organization such as a church

"der Roth Jackschle" = an off-the-wall guess: a profession where the person wore a red jacket, vest, or waistcoat

George Shoning

-------------- Original message from "Joyce E." <birdlover18206 at hotmail.com>: --------------