[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] GRs in Mexico

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Sat Apr 29 07:43:11 PDT 2006

To all,

This message does not contain much in the way of living in Mexico,
but does indicate the restlessness of my family, and does note one
visit my grandfather made to Mexico.

My grandfather, Eduard Jaeger (or Geiger, depending on which part of
his passport or birth record you look at) left Volhynia on June 5,
1893 from Alexandrov and went to Canada.  He apparently had just
gotten out of the Russian Army after serving 5 years (legend in our
family says that after 5 years everyone who have served that long got
to draw straws to see who got out, and he drew the correct straw, the
short one I presume).

I do not know the exact route Eduard took to Canada, or where he
first lived, but the following list of births indicates that he did
not stay very long in one place:

in 1895 my Aunt Pauline was born in Edmonton, Alberta,
in 1897, my uncle David was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba,
in 1899 my Aunt Martha was born in Overstone, Manitoba,
in 1901 my father Heinrich was born in Overstone, Manitoba,
in 1903 my uncle John was born in Overstone, Manitoba,
in 1907 my aunt Ida was born in Plainview, Saskatchewan,
in 1909 my uncle Albert was born in Fenwood, Saskatchewan
in 1911, my uncle Wilhelm was born in Fenwood, Saskatchewan,
in 1915, my aunt Bertha was born in Hillside, Saskatchewan.

In 1921 my grandfather Eduard obtained a Canadian passport while he
was living in North Battleford, Saskatchewan (information I have is
that he lived there from May 1911 until some time in 1923.

On November 25, 1921 there is an entry in Eduard's passport that
allows entry into the USA, Mexico and Panama.

On January 7, 1922 there is a stamp in Eduard's passport that says he
was in Cuidad Juarez, Mexico.

On February 9, 1922, there is a stamp in Eduard's passport that says
he was in Sonora, Mexico

On February 9, 1922, there is a stamp in Eduard's passport that says
he was in El Paso, Texaa.

Evidently Mexico was not to the liking of Eduard Jaeger, as he
returned to Canada, moved to to Benton Harbor, Michigan and
Riverdale, Illinois.

Eduard moved one last time to Morden, Manitoba in about 1925, where
he lived until his death in 1954 at age 88.

Gary Warner